Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Easy Photo Magnets Tutorial

My husband and I wanted to give our mom's something a little unique this year for Mother's Day. 
Chocolates melt, flowers die, but a picture is worth 1,000 words...right?? 
So we I came up with the idea to make picture magnets of all of their children, grandchildren, etc. (Thank goodness there are only 4 kids on each side and 1 grandchild!)


Are you ready to make some for yourself? Okay! Here we go! 

You'll Need:
Pictures printed into wallet sizes (not pictured)
Elmer's glue or Mod Podge
Magnets
Chipboard
Scissors
Pen
A strong glue like epoxy or model car glue (not pictured)
2 inch circle template



1. Using your circle template, draw a circle on your picture to mark where you will cut as pictured below. 

I used a clear quilting circle template which made it easier to see the picture to be sure I didn't cut anything important out. 





 2. Very slowly and very carefully cut the marked circle out of your picture removing any pen marks.


I placed my pictures in a baggie as I cut them so I wouldn't lose any.


3. Draw your circles onto your chipboard and cut out.



4. Using your Elmer's glue (or mod podge) put a thin layer on the chipboard circle using a paint brush or your fingers. Come on, use your fingers, you know you want to! Then gently place your picture on top.



5. After the glue dries (should just be a few minutes depending on how thick you layered it on) use your scissors to trim away any chipboard showing around the picture. Don't worry if the picture shows over the chipboard on the back, no one will see! 



6. Then apply a layer of glue on the edges and top of your picture to seal it up. 


It will make the picture look cloudy until it dries, but it will dry clear so no worries!


7. After letting these dry thoroughly, turn over and place a small amount of your strong glue in the middle of the chipboard. Then place your magnet on top and press down firmly. Allow the glue to dry according to directions, at least an hour.


8. Hang on the fridge for all to see! 


Hope you enjoy your magnets! I'd love to see a picture of them! 


Oh! JB says hi!


1 comment:

  1. I like the idea of the magnet being the picture rather then a random magnet holding up a picture. Great idea. thanks so much for linking up to Strictly Homemade Tuesday!! As always I hope to see you back next week!!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and read each one!